Number 6 is a service for adults (16 and over) with High Functioning Autism (HFA) or Asperger’s Syndrome (AS) who live in the Lothians and the Borders. The service is provided by Autism Initiatives UK and was officially launched in June 2005, with the opening of the Number 6 One-Stop Shop.
Our building is based on Hill Street in the centre of Edinburgh. Number 6 provides a safe and non-judgemental environment for people to take part in the number of groups and drop-ins that run during each month.
Number 6 offers social groups, drop-in facilities, 1-1 advice and health focused groups.
During our drop-in times people can access our pool table, computer room, art materials or use any of the rooms that are not in use to sit and relax with a cup of tea and a book. Throughout the month there are a number of different social groups available to anyone registered with Number 6. The calendar and newsletter is available on our Website and Facebook page each month.
In addition to the many social opportunities available we also offer one to one problem solving sessions. Advice and information is available on a range of issues including: employment, benefits, housing, relationships and diagnosis.
Some other services on offer at Number 6 include:
- Pre-diagnostic support and information
- Late Diagnosis Group (an 8 week course that looks at different topics each week to help individuals diagnosed as adults to better understand their diagnosis)
- Living Life to the Full (an 8 week self-help course looking at low mood and anxiety)
- Employment Group (an 8 week course that runs every 1st & 3rd Wednesday from 1.30 – 3.30pm)
- Training and information sessions available for health professionals, employers and relatives.
- 3 Saturday drop-ins during the month. Always on the 1st, 3rd and 4th Saturday of the month.
- 2 – 3 extra social activities a week during the months of July and August.
Anyone interested in accessing the services at Number 6 should book an appointment to meet with a member of staff. You will be given a brief induction to the resources available and the opportunity to register with Number 6.
How to contact Number 6:
24 Hill Street,
Tel: 0131 220 1075
Find Number 6 on Facebook.